Friday, May 22, 2009

Week Three Reflection!

This is my final weekly reflection so I'm going to try and make it the best yet.  This week, unlike last week, was a busy week where I was running around trying to stay on top of the work that needed to be completed so that I wouldn't fall behind.  As I mentioned before this project is based off of survey responses so the first and last week are very heavy on work load, where as the middle week is somewhat lighter and can allow for some pre-work.  I believe it would be safe to say that this week with out question was the hardest and most busy week out of the three.
This week began with me collecting all the surveys that had been returned to me and beginning to go through the results.  I was a bit disappointed with the ultimate turn out of the survey responses because the highest return percentage was 26%, that's 12 out of 50 surveys returned.  That survey specifically beat every other survey by 3-4 responses, needless to say the survey responses were abysmal.  All percentages aside I went through every survey tallying quantitative results and pulling responses for qualitative results as well.  I later used the qualitative data to create the write-ups and the quantitative to create statistics about the survey responses.  After I was done going through each survey and gathering data I began to write all the write-ups which ended up being between one and two pages a piece.  I then used the numbers to create statistics and a pie chart to be used as a visual in the book.  I organized all the pictures that I had selected and had a complete "packet" for each questionnaire.  Each one of these little packets include a sample questionnaire, a write-up, statistics, a graph and pictures.  So i finished with all of the nitty-gritty details and began working on book layout, which didn't take to long because I know exactly what I want the book to look like.  I decided on a layout and to round out the week I printed everything and put it all in order.
This week for me was the most rewarding.  I really enjoy instant gratification, so to have to wait and see the entire project evolve was difficult to with stand.  It takes a lot of patients to setup a a project, wait for the results and then analyze the data.  Through this project I have gained a new respect for scientists who do this when conducting experiments, marketing departments who survey people for feedback, and statisticians who analyze data and numbers all day long.  All of these jobs demand an intense amount of patience on top of a large time commitment.  This week everything started to take shape and come together, which is why I liked it so much.  It was great because I could finally see all of my hard work taking shape in to something that is going to be great.  Senior project in general is meant for students to learn something that can't be taught in the classroom, to get real life experience in a work place or how to deal with people in an adult and professional manner.  At the end of the day I think that senior project was a great learning experience for me and I am glad that I had the chance to take part in it.  Thanks again for following and I hope that the blog has been fun and interesting for all who have read.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment